Sunday, October 3, 2010

My first stop!

The Ghost Town of Thurber Texas

I always stop here. The Smokestack Resturaunt has killer southern cookin!! It's a neat place to visit.

 Back in the mid 90's, I was a member of a Metal Detecting club. Once a year our club had access to all the land... 1200 acres I think. My oldest coin came from here. 1874 Indian Head penny.
 Also, my very first Barber dime came from Thurber. It was a 1902 gradded VG. I've found old bottles from the 1800's too. Really neat place to visit if you're passing by.

They have an old cemetary up on the hill behind the old yellow house. I think all you need to do is ask the lady at the Smokestack Resturant for permission to walk around. Some kids vandalized it several years ago so they watch it closely now.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment